Friday, June 19, 2009

The Infinite Genius of David Lynch


(trailer for Blue Velvet)

I've been a fan of David Lynch's for several years. I think the first time I saw one of his films, I was in high school and I got a copy of Blue Velvet at one of the local video rental stores (before the days of Netflix.) After that, I knew I had to see more. 



(scene from Eraserhead)

Eventually I got around to seeing Eraserhead. It was probably one of the creepiest, grossest yet ultimately captivating films i've ever encountered. The scene at the dinner table with the chicken... ugh. It's just foul (unintended pun!) But really, spectacularly bizarre.



(Rebekah del Rio singing "Llorando in Mullholland Drive)

Then I got to see Mullholland Drive. That is probably my favorite Lynch film thusfar. It made absolutely no sense to me, but it had some intense (and downright terrifying) moments. And Rebekah del Rio singing a cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying", in Spanish ("Llorando") still gives me chills.



(one of the best scenes from Lost Highway)

A few months ago I finally got around to watching Lost Highway. It was in the same vein of Mulholland, but for some reason it didn't affect me in the same way. Still pretty damn crazy and definitely eerie. Good ol' Lynch. Plus the soundtrack is pretty amazing.


I finally got around to watching my very first episode of Twin Peaks today. It's a show I've been dying to get around but other dvds always got in the way. However, I'm happy I finally started. The 2-hour pilot alone is enough to suck you in for good. There were some familiar faces (like Charlotte's fiance from Sex and the City and Christopher's girlfriend Sherry as well as April's mom from the Gilmore Girls) and some others you're sure to have seen but can't quite put your finger on. The dvd came with an alternate ending created for the international version. You can tell that Lynch most likely wanted to keep the alternate ending as it has him written all over it. But I guess the studios probably didn't think America was ready for such a bizarro ending (and let me just say, it is fucking weird) so they kept it a little shorter, leaving you on edge. It's unfortunate though because the alternate ending has what has got to be one of the scariest David Lynch scenes ever.

I'll keep updating as I watch episodes and more of the story unfurls. For now, enjoy the opening to what was probably one of the greatest tv shows ever made.


No comments: