Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Drive-Ins Making A Comeback?

For as long as i've known, the only drive-in theater anywhere near Miami was the one located at the Swap Shop, which is a good hour drive north in Ft. Lauderdale. I have fond memories of making the drive up with friends and then splitting the cost of one ticket while the rest of us hid in the trunk w/ snacks and booze. It was always a good time, despite the distance and the well, let's face it, "ghettoness" that is the Ft. Laud Swap Shop. In all seriousness, the Swap Shop has received tons of negative press for its general filth as well as the fact that it used to have a circus (which included elephants and a tiger), which it finally closed down a few years ago. I haven't been back to the Swap Shop since I was maybe 19 years old, so I don't know what the condition of it is these days (although I'm happy to hear those animals aren't being kept there anymore - though god knows where they might be now..) However, the point of this wasn't to rant about the Swap Shop, but rather to bring up an article I read in the Times about a new form of guerilla drive-in, or "mobile movies" as they're calling them. Apparently, people throughout the country are setting up impromptu drive-ins, using projectors to play films on blank walls on the sides of buildings and rallying people to go and watch. I just signed up for their Miami, Coral Gables, and Pompano Beach chapters in hopes that one gets arranged soon. A drive-in movie sounds like an awesome idea for this summer, and maybe this time I won't have to hide in my trunk to avoid the extra fees.



Check out mobmov.org and join in the fun! Let me know if you get to attend one of these gatherings yourself, and take pictures!!

No comments: