Monday, July 27, 2009

Poetry in Pinecrest.

When I was in my early teen years, I used to write a lot of poetry. A lot of... bad... poetry. It was my angst phase, what can I say? Lot of talk about the rain and black roses and other goth-related imagery shone through all my poems and after a while, I grew up and realized that I was terrible at this. I've never really had a gift at poetry. At least I don't think. But as a writer, I like to challenge myself. I got a little inspired after reading about a local poetry group here in my neck of the woods, Pinecrest. They call themselves the Group 10 Poets and they meet monthly at the local library. They encourage each other and help each other make their work better. I've always wanted to join a writing group, but have always been way too shy. I may or may not check them out next month. Asides from my social awkwardness, I'm a little reluctant to go because it would be the only time that I could seeing as how I start school in last August. However, I like one thing that one of the members said in the article, about being persistent in trying to get your poem published. Eventually, someone's gonna bite. So although poetry is not my strong suit, I think I'm going to start up a poetry journal like in the heyday of my teen years and try to sit and write one poem a day. And then perhaps at the end of my venture, i'll be brave enough to post the best one i've got. Or if not, maybe submit it to a magazine or contest. I'll keep you updated...

No comments: