Monday, June 15, 2009

Think before you Speak.

I've never understood the omnivore's incessant need to insult and belittle vegetarians and vegans. I invite any non-veg*n person to please come and tell me why it is that YOU feel the need to harass people who have done nothing to you directly. I'm not much of a "preachy" vegetarian. I have my moments where I will post a video online of the reality that is animal cruelty (see pic to the left). Sometimes I might make mention of the ill treatment of animals on farms, in slaughterhouses, being used for testing, etc. But I never go out of my way to begin to explain the process of how a cow go on to your plate when you're sitting down for a steak dinner. I don't show you pictures of dead animals when you just finished your chicken wings. I try my best to co-exist (and I realize veg*ns might give me flack for not being more of an animal rights advocate in this sense). Yet people continually insist on taunting and basically being general nuisances to their veg friends. Why is this? Sometimes I wonder if it's because they feel threatened. Someone is doing something positive, something they may feel they couldn't possibly do themselves (although they could), so they get on the defense. Or maybe not? Perhaps it's just complete ignorance or a lack of upbringing. Either way, I still subscribe to the idea that if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian (thanks, Paul). Maybe not everyone, but at least those with some kind of conscience. One could only hope.

No comments: