Monday, March 08, 2010

Happy International Women's Day!

Jane Goodall

Just wanted to get in a quick post to say Happy International Women's Day to all my wonderful ladies out there (and to all others who have special women in their lives in one way or other!!) We're half of the human population and we are the only ones who can carry other human beings to term, amazing beings that we are. And that's not all of course, not by a long shot. Women, who have been made to succumb to the "power" of men historically, are now making their voices loud and clear and making it known that we will not be silent. We've certainly come a long way since the First International Women's Day and we will continue to push foward and strive for a much better, more equal tomorrow.


Kim Deal

Today, like every day, I can say that I am happy, proud, and blessed to be a woman. Even when I'm crouched over in pain, cursing my cramped up uterus, I still love being female.

My female heroes are as talented and incredible as they are diverse. It would probably take forever to list them all, but here's a few for now:

Dian Fossey


Rachel Maddow

Wonder Woman

PJ Harvey

Marlene Dietrich

Kate Winslet

Gladys Bentley

Frida Kahlo

Lorelai and Rory Gilmore

Emma Goldman

Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Ariel Schrag


Ani Difranco


My mom :)


My abuelita :)


Who are your female heroines? Who are the women that inspire you on a daily basis?

1 comment:

Melissa Dominic said...

my mom, abuela and titi. my female friends. nicole blackman, female comic book writers, etc. etc. etc.