Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Review: So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream Bars - Banana Split Flavor!

Alright... I've always been a big fan of the ice cream sandwich. It was one of the few regular items i'd always get from the ice cream truck as a child (well, besides the Mickey Mouse and Pink Panther bars!) Not long ago, I tried out the Tofutti ice cream sandwiches which were pretty good, but full of hydrogenated evils. Then yesterday while I was at my local Publix, I decided I wanted to try coconut milk ice cream. Turtle Foods makes some pretty fantastic coconut milk yogurt and I figured that the ice cream had to be pretty good as well. My Publix carries 4 different pints of coconut milk ice cream (vanilla bean, chocolate, mint chocolate, and cookie dough.) I almost grabbed the cookie dough when my eyes caught sight of 2 boxes of coconut milk ice cream sandwiches! There was a box of coconut almond sandwiches which looked rather appealing, and another of the banana split flavored sandwiches. Banana whaaa?! It goes without saying that my favorite ice cream indulgence is the banana split. It reminds me of being a little girl and taking a trip to the local ice cream shoppe with my dad. He was a big banana split fan as well. And finding a banana split in ice cream sandwich form was just too much! I quickly snatched the $4.99 box up and brought it home with me.

Although i've never done the ice cream for breakfast thing, I figure hell, it's summer vacation. Might as well indulge! So I grabbed the 100 calorie package and opened it up and therein lay the most scrumptious of vegan ice cream sandwiches. Sweetened with agave nectar, this cruelty-free, low-fat gem looked perfect. It's got a little chocolate ice cream, a little strawberry, and some banana flavored ice cream in the center. I took a bite and wowowowow! This stuff is so effin good! Seriously. One, it doesn't really have a heavy coconut flavor like I thought it might. Just tastes like ice cream. Like GOOD ice cream. You can tell the difference in the ice cream flavors (although I was hoping for the banana to be a little stronger, but nonetheless) and the chocolate "bread" of the sandwich is comparable to every good ice cream sandwich. It's soft and tasty and sticks a little to your fingers if you hold it for too long.

Dee-lish! 4 stars, Turtle Mountain, for your amazing frozen creation!

1 comment:

Angel said...

You ain't kidding! These So Delicious coconut milk ice cream mini sandwiches are the best ice cream ever! They make me feel like a little kid again. Thank you, Turtle Mountain!