Monday, July 20, 2009

One Small Step.


It's been 40 years since we first landed on the moon, and unfortunately that's as far as we've gotten. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing feat. But sometimes I wish we invested more of our money in to deep space exploration rather than, oh, wars? I've always had a fascination with astronauts and outer space, but i've always been too lazy to learn the real science behind it all. While I don't doubt that it, too, is fascinating in its' own right, i'll probably just stick to writing blurbs about it on here.

I'd like to wish a Happy Anniversary to the amazing crew of Apollo 11, and to thank them for being brave enough to go really go where no person had gone before. It's truly an amazing accomplishment. I'd also like to bring up my disappointment that (at least from what i've read so far), no woman ever landed on the moon. Perhaps we will dominate once we land on Mars instead? One can hope!

NASA has a much more in depth look at the history of Apollo 11 (including short video clips, an animated comic, interactive virtual tours of the moon, and more) and all the other moon missions and landings, as well as a ton of other great stuff at their website. Definitely worth checking out.

And for all you disbelievers, National Geographic has an article de-bunking those who still feel Apollo 11 was a hoax. Peruse it at your leisure!

No comments: