As i've been on a vacation for the past, oh... 2-3 months, i've been dedicating a lot of time to unwinding before I have to go back and dedicate my entire life to school. It's been nice getting to do a lot of things I normally don't have time for. But even being on vacation, sometimes outside forces get the best of me and I need a vacation from the vacation. Here's a few things I do to unwind and de-stress:
- Yoga! There are very few things in life that will leave you feeling like new the way yoga does.
- Have a good, long marathon of any TV show of my choosing (lately it's been Twin Peaks, Sailor Moon, True Blood, and Breaking Bad.) It's nice to live vicariously through fictional people sometimes.
- Spending a day at the pool and warming up on the beach chairs. Especially when it's nice and hot out!
- Knitting while listening to This American Life. I haven't done this in a while, but it's always a lovely way to end a stressful day.
- Getting very immersed in cooking. I love to cook! And when I get really in to it, the entire world just kind of fades in to the background.
- Practicing belly dance moves. I miss my belly dance classes very much, but unfortunately finances have not allowed me to go back. However, doing belly dance videos makes me feel more in tune with my body, and boosts my confidence like nothing else.
- Playing Katamari games! It's cheesy. It's simple. It's goofy. It's fun. And it has a killer soundtrack.
- Writing! Because there's no better way to get something off your chest and off your mind than to write it all out and let it go.
- Having a nice glass of good wine. I stress good because a glass of bad wine would just annoy me and make me wish I had a good glass. I'm not a huge wine snob, but I know what I like and that usually rests in the $10+ Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Chianti area. This is all usually best enjoyed with some kind of fancy cheese and crackers.
- Sex and/or masturbation. Need I say more, really?
- Dancing! But I mean, really dancing. Whether it's a night out with the girls on the dance floor, or doing the Elaine in my living room in my undies, few things are better than letting loose to some good tunes and not caring what you look like!
- Singing! This is my dirty little secret. I love to sing. I don't do it as often as i'd like. It's usually to the tune of oldies hits on Magic 102.7 in my car with the windows rolled up tight. I instantly feel better after singing the words to a great song. And don't get me started with the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast soundtracks! Guilty pleasure-o-rama!
- Getting lost in a really good book. Haven't been able to fully lose myself in one in a while (I usually get either distracted or sleepy too soon), but when it does happen, it's magnificent.
How do you unwind?