Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Trailers!

Guilty pleasures meet (what appears to be) really great cinema.


The Former...



500 Days of Summer - Wanting to see this because it has what I feel are two of the least annoying and most underrated young actors of today (Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt.) Looks entertaining and sweet and yeah, guilty pleasure-y.




Post-Grad - It's Rory! Alright, maybe it's not the Gilmore Girl movie we've been waiting on for more than a year now (which I'm pretty sure will never happen), but this is certainly a good substitute! Alexis Bledel stars as a girl who is just like Rory, but a little more accessible to normal life. Moves back in with her folks after graduation, there's a bit of romantic drama involved, and in general, she doesn't know what to do with her life. This is likely to be me in another year or so.




Away We Go - Sam Mendes (director of American Beauty) is behind this one. I have a gut feeling that the trailer is downplaying the film a lot and just skimming the surface, trying to appeal to the Juno crowd. So hopefully, it turns out to be much better than Juno (since I wasn't much of a fan to be honest.)




The Answer Man- Another Gilmore treat! This time it's Lauren Graham playing.. what seems to be herself almost (she tends to play similar characters.) The movie looks cute overall, with (again) non-annoying celebrities in the midst.



The Latter...



Last Ride - This looks fantastic. Hugo Weaving (the Matrix's own "Agent Smith") seems to be delivering an amazing performance. It looks... different from a lot of the movies that will be out this year and for that I am EXCEPTIONALLY grateful!




Seraphine - As a former art history major (and lifelong art lover), I am curious to see how this film goes. Honestly, I haven't read much about her life, but it makes me happy when I see anything about a female artist being put in to film. Looks alright, hopefully the film is even better than the trailer.




Moon - I am really liking the concept of this film. The trailer is a little "iffy" but if executed correctly (and as long as they don't try to bite too much off of 2001: a space odyssey), then I think i'll be pleasantly surprised.




Precious - Alright, i'll admit this is not the first movie I would naturally go to, seeing as it's recommended by Oprah (I have nothing against the woman, but I don't really care about her either. And I certainly am not a big Mariah Carey turned actress fan, but it all seems to work (at least in the trailer.) Looks like a tearjerker, but a good one nonetheless.)




Afghan Star - Think real life Slumdog Millionaire meets American Idol meet the Taliban. This looks like a great documentary, without all the Hollywood bullshit Slumdog delivered (don't get me wrong, I liked Jai Ho! as much as the next guy, but the reality of it is so much more grim...)




Children of Invention - I saved the best trailer for last. The video says it all, it looks phenomenal and heart wrenching all at once. A must see.


What movies are you looking forward to?

No comments: